We have already spoken recently we talked about an intervention on how to strengthen executive functions in preschool; today, however, we want to take another step forward: let's talk about the possibility of implementing the same training on executive functions in schools. Unlike what done in the past, however, this time we focus on a particular age group, that is that of the primary school.
Similarly to the one we talked about in the previous article (Treatment of executive functions in preschool - part 2), a short term protocol (12 sessions of 30 minutes each) with low cost material but with one fundamental difference: this time it was a training conducted in school by a teacher. The 5-year-old children who participated in the study were also divided into two groups: one subjected to training while the other carried out routine school activities (control group). Always in analogy with the previous research, also in this case all the children were twice evaluated on executive functions (one before the start of the treatment, one later) but in this case also one was added assessment of preschool mathematics, metaphonology and writing skills.
Also in this case the results were interesting although in part different from what emerged in the research previously discussed:
- The children who had participated in the training showed improvements in the ability to inhibit interfering stimuli
- The same children also got improvements in metaphonological skills and preschool writing skills.
- As for math and writing skills, the improvements were mediated by the enhancement in the ability to inhibit interfering stimuli
In continuity with the previous research we talked about, this study also seems to suggest the possibility to enhance executive functions already in early age, with a training of short term, in low cost and, what is not secondary, in the school environment and also with positive effects on the prerequisites for learning (writing and calculation).
You may also be interested in:
- What the executive functions are
- Treatment of executive functions in preschool - part 1
- Strengthen executive functions at school
- Computerized rehabilitation of attention and executive functions after acquired brain injury
- Working memory training in the elderly. What results?
- Computerized working memory training: the benefits for aphasia
- TOL - Tower of London: the review
- FE-PS 2-6. Battery for the evaluation of the preschool executive functions
- Impulsiveness and self-control. The review
- Game Center - Attention and Executive Functions
- Traverso, L., Viterbori, P., & Usai, MC (2015). Improving executive function in childhood: evaluation of a training intervention for 5-year-old children. Frontiers in psychology, 6, 525.
- Traverso, L., Viterbori, P., & Usai, MC (2019). Effectiveness of an executive function training in Italian preschool educational services and far transfer effects to pre-academic skills. Frontiers in psychology, 10, 2053.